Driver Safety with Calhoun Truck Lines
In the intermodal trucking business, getting the cargo to one’s destination on time and in budget is probably the most important need for a client. On its heels, though, is the safety and focus of our truckers while delivering intermodal cargo in the Midwest.
At Calhoun Truck Lines, we take safety of our truckers and the cargo very seriously. We work with all our drivers in the Federal Motor Safety Administration’s Compliance, Safety and Accountability (CSA) BASIC program. It’s a program designed to provide a threshold of safety for intermodal trucking companies and their drivers. It is Calhoun’s goal to go above and beyond the minimum threshold of safety and reduce driver violations.
Below are some of the requirements we have laid out for our drivers under the different categories in the CSA BASIC program. You can be assured we are actively focused on creating policies and actions to accomplish these goals.
- No cell phones or other use of electronic equipment while driving
- Provide continuing education on managing driver speed and space
- Test drivers for proper backing techniques
- Provide extreme weather driving education and best practices
- Hours of Service training for dispatchers and drivers
- Audit all driver logs and maintain consistent records
- Consult with industry experts for improved training
- Continuing education at all quarterly safety meetings
- Track driver CDL expirations
- Random drug testing
- Mandate pre-employment drug testing
- Monitor mandatory annual driver physicals
- Random DOT truck inspections (in addition to the required annual inspection)
- DVIR received daily from all drivers
- Maintain and manage the maintenance of leased chassis
- Mandate monthly maintenance reports from all drivers
- Zip-tie Policy for container securement
- Continuous hazmat training for managers, dispatchers, and drivers
- Continuous education on equipment inspections and cargo securement for all drivers
- Follow Great West Casualty’s guidelines for accident reporting
- Equipment control education (during orientation and quarterly) for all drivers
- Participate in the Great West Casualty “Value Driven Driving” program
As a Midwestern leader in intermodal trucking, Calhoun Truck Lines is committed to being proactive about truck driver safety. Our company stays up to date on all communications from the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. In the states in which we operate, we work directly with drivers to ensure Department of Transportation compliance and support our field operations to enhance working relationships with our truck fleet.